Can You Get Compensation for Work-Induced Hearing Issues?

Do you find it difficult to follow a conversation in a crowded room with some background noise? Alternatively, do you often notice a high-pitched, ringing noise when you are in a very quiet environment? If so, you may be suffering from hearing damage, which can be traced back to the workplace in many circumstances. What should you do if you find yourself in this position and suspect that your job may indeed have been causative?

A Nationwide Problem

According to Safe Work Australia, an estimated 1 million employees across the country could be exposed to potentially hazardous levels of noise at work. This represents a significant problem for society, and even though most employers do their best to address the issue, many people will still suffer from hearing loss as a consequence.

Eligibility to Compensation

In many jurisdictions, you may be entitled to compensation if it is found that your employment is causative or could be a significant contributory factor in your hearing loss. So, if you work in a broad range of occupations within manufacturing, construction, automotive or other industries, you should certainly look into your options.

What to Do

The first thing to do is talk with your employer about your concerns. If they do not already provide some form of hearing protection, you should request it and, if at all possible, see if you can work in a less noisy place. However, at the same time, you should talk with your doctor, who may refer you to a specialist audiologist. The input from this expert will be invaluable as you begin to build a case.

The Claims Process

It is certainly possible to submit a claim, and you should do this as soon as possible after you become aware of your hearing loss problem. Once the insurance company receives such a form, they will probably ask you to visit an ENT specialist for a comprehensive examination. This expert will assess your hearing loss level against the national database so that they can come up with a statistic known as the "whole person impairment percentage."

Compensation Benefits

In addition to weekly payments, you may be able to get a lump sum impairment benefit. The insurance company should pay for your medical costs and any devices (such as a hearing aid) you may need to get to deal with everyday life.

Support in Your Corner

Naturally, you may be troubled by this development and could be confused by the process. In this case, you don't need to go it alone and should talk with a lawyer specialising in compensation claims. Contact a local compensation claims lawyer to learn more.